What is food safety? It is important to always keep your health and fitness in mind all throughout the year but especially during the year’s last quarter. This is after all the season when typhoons like to visit tropical countries like the Philippines.
Usually, these storms do not only bring strong winds and rains (and sometimes flooding as well), but also a number of sickness along with them. This is the reason why the Filipino people tend to always keep medicine for cough and cold with them so that they can easily remedy whatever ailments they might be feeling.
However, they also have to keep in mind other diseases that may put their health at risk. These diseases can originate from anywhere but everyone should be wary of those ones that can come from the very food that they eat.
Why should you take food safety seriously?
This is a crucial issue that people need to discuss because food is an important part of people’s lives; their day to day routine literally involves eating food three times per day. Different Individuals coming from various places with varying backgrounds and culture have established certain traditions when it comes to dining.
Nutrition is key to your food intake. If you forego the seriousness of food safety, then you are letting yourself down. Instead of receiving proper nourishment in your body, you are likely to catch a number of foodborne illnesses.
Acquiring these diseases will not be a field day, particularly if you consider the complications that may come with them. Here are some of them:
- Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome (HUS)
- Reactive Arthritis
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Guillain-Barre Syndrome
What you need to do to practice food safety?
There are a few things you need to go through to make sure you are abiding the practice of food safety. Take note of the following:
- Education – People often say that “knowledge is power.” This saying rings true to most cases but especially to this crucial topic. Food safety is everyone’s responsibility. All people in the community should be able to understand the importance of this practice. Imagine what would happen if one person do not practice it. The effort of other people will be for naught for there is a high chance that one person can spread the disease he or she managed to acquire after failing to practice food safety.
- Be wary of location specific food issues – Now, this one is a tricky thing to learn about particularly since location specific food safety differ from time to time and place to place. Although, there are certain countries like China, for example, that has an issue with food fraud, which means that the food you may be taking could be adulterated. You can practice food safety while visiting foreign places by reading about them beforehand. Don’t be caught off guard as this will not only ruin your stomach, but also your vacation time as well.
- Change your routine by starting small – Keep in mind that there is always room for you and your family to improve your food safety practices. Don’t be lazy and always wash your hands after going to the toilet, before preparing your meals, and before and after you eat them. Also, opt to shop for food that have an approval from the government as they have most likely went through many procedures of a food safety health check.
623 total views, 1 views today