We are getting out of the box again. We will have a step by step tutorial in how to clean and maintain the brass hardware on your precious bags. I have brass problems on my bags ever since. It’s really annoying to see faded or tarnished brass hardware on your bag but i have found and read few articles on how to clean and maintain the beauty of your brass hardware. I have tried it and for sure will also love the results. Lets first start by knowing what brass means.
Brass is an alloy made of copper and zinc; the proportions of zinc and copper can be varied to create a range of brasses with varying properties. It is a substitutional alloy: atoms of the two constituents may replace each other within the same crystal structure. (info is from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass)
Now that we know what brass means we proceed knowing how to clean a brass material:
- Cleaning Brass material using Metal Polish or Brass Polish (paste form)
- Use a clean white soft cloth.
- Before polished wipe away the dirt on the hardware.
- Apply a small amount of Metal polish on your white cloth. it should be sufficient enough to cover the brass material that you will clean.
- If your cleaning a tiny brass material you can also use a cotton ball or the tip of the cotton buds.
- Don’t let the cleaner touch your leather, vinyl or canvass bag it may form discoloration and can ruin your bag. If in case you will have it in your bag just wipe it off as quickly as possible.
- Cleaning Brass material using Ketchup
- Apply a small amount of ketchup in your soft cloth or enough amount to clean your brass hardware.
- Rub the ketchup on the tarnished are of the hardware that you need to clean.
- Did you know that the acid from the tomatoes are strong enough to take away the tarnish of the brass hardware but soft enough to damage it.
- Use a dry cloth to remove the ketchup to your brass hardware and with a damp cloth after.
- Buff it continuously with a dry cloth and in a circular motion.
- I read this at http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Brass-Jewelry
I have use these two mean in cleaning my brass hardware to my Michael Kors Bags and Tommy Hilfiger. I hope this could help you clean your brass hardware in your bag and your bag can be beautiful again. We will be posting pictures soon, will clean again some of my bags 🙂
5,851 total views, 2 views today