Who wants a pasta that is soggy and not firm? Al Dente means firm to bite. Our pasta should be always Al Dente. October is considered to be the National Pasta Month. Pasta has been on the Filipino table for some time to be a substitute for rice. Pasta has unquestionable intrinsic worth for a very dynamic and healthy lifestyle
Last October 25, We celebrated the National Pasta Month in the Philippines with Dona Elana Al Dente the Pasta Excellence. The crowd is full of pasta lovers like me. I had also got the time to meet new mommy bloggers at the event.
The event started with a prayer, then after Ms. MJ Cordova made the opening remarks. There are a lot of discussions that makes me realize how pasta is made and how to pick the right pasta. So here are some of what I learned from Ms. Karen Saguiped, Ms Rachelle Chung, Mr. RJ Ledesma, Chef Michel Cottabaren and Prof. Luchie Ledesma.
Some of their products
By the way Dona Elena Al Dente Pasta is the only Artisan quality Italian pasta brand in the country. Dona Elena Pasta is made of 100% Durum Wheat Semolina that is considered Al Dente!. So now you’re thinking about what is Durum Wheat Semolina? Let’s break it down per word.
Durum – is the Latin word for “hard”. Durum is the hardest of all wheats and high in proteins.
Wheat – is the type grass grown all over the world. This grain is very useful and it’s one of the top 3 most produced crops in the world.
Semolina – is often yellow in color and it is the coarse particles of wheat that is left after the finer flour has passed through.
What makes Dona Elena Al Dente an Artisan Quality Pasta?
– The Artisan way of making a pasta is slow drying and not subjected to high heat.
– Made using the long held Italian tradition of making pasta using Bronze Die.
Did You Know?
That Dona Elena Al Dente Pasta has 13% Proteins than other brands that has 6% protein content only and Dona Elena Pasta is GMO Free, it is 100% all natural.
Did you learn more about the Dona Elena Al Dente Pasta? J After all the discussion they have this cooking contest and I am one of the contestant with my partner Sol of solrazo.com, We cooked a tomato based sauce and a spaghetti as our noodles. It was really fun and after quite a while I cooked again in front of a large crowd, even if we didn’t win I am still so amazed and my adrenaline rush didn’t subside after the cooking contest. Thumbs up for the organizers! The event was a blast and the food is awesome plus hearing Chef Michel talked about how to cook the pasta the right way and sharing some recipes for us mommies to try at home. Oh! I’ll also share to you guys the recipes that Chef Michel taught us.
500g Doña Elena AL DENTE Spaghetti noodles, cooked according to package instructions
3 tbsp Doña Elena pure olive oil
4 pcs garlic cloves, minced
6 pcs Doña Elena anchovy fillets, mashed
½ tsp dried chilli flakes
½ cup Doña Elena sliced black olives
3 tbsp Doña Elena capers
2 cups Doña Elena diced canned tomatoes
¼ cup basil leaves, chiffonade
To taste freshly ground black pepper
parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat the Doña Elena pure olive oil in a sauté pan and sauté the garlic until softened.
- Add the mashed anchovy fillets, dried chilli flakes, olives and capers and let it cook for a minute.
- Add the canned tomatoes and let the mix simmer until the sauce becomes chunky. Add the basil and simmer a few more minutes.
- Season with pepper.
- Toss the sauce with the spaghetti noodles.
- Garnish the pasta with some black olives and capers on top and sprinkle with generous amount of parmesan cheese. Serve hot.
Shrimp and Pasta Salad with Creamy Sesame Dressing
500g Doña Elena AL DENTE Fusilli, cooked according to package instructions
9 pcs prawns, deveined, peeled and blanched
9 pcs cherry tomatoes, sliced into halves
150g assorted lettuce, sliced into bite size pieces
sesame seeds, for garnish
For the dressing:
½ cup Japanese mayonnaise
½ cup teriyaki sauce
4 tbsp Good Life Sesame Oil
1 tsp sesame seeds, toasted and chopped
To taste ground black pepper
- Combine all the dressing ingredients. Store in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator.
- Place the cooked Doña Elena AL DENTE Fusilli noodles in a bowl together with the sliced lettuce then drizzle some of the dressing until all the ingredients are well coated.
- Arrange the prawns and tomatoes on top of the salad and garnish with toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve chilled.
I hope you learned more about Pasta and cooking it the Al Dente way and the recipes that Chef Michel shared with us. Till the next celebration of Pasta Month! Will be cooking some pasta the Al Dente way soon watch out!
Please like Dona Elena’s Facebook Page: Dona Elena Cuisinera Club
*For more photos please check on my Facebook Account.
2,394 total views, 1 views today